Outro desenho do álbum da colecção Duarte de Sousa (1), presente no livro “Macau, Cidade do Nome de Deus na China” (2).

Macau Cidade do Nome de Deus na China Ruínas S. PauloSt. Paulo Church. Macao. The most ancient in the Place. 400 years.
A Igreja de São Paulo, Macau. A mais antiga no território. 400 anos.

“One of the most imposing structures in Macao is the ruined facade of the Jesuit Church of San Paulo which is visible from almost every point of the compass. The church was burnt on January 26th or 27th 1834 (or 1835?). (3) A private manuscript states that Francis Peres and a few Jesuits in 1565 had a house in Macao where those of their Society used to lodge on way via Macao to Japan. The church which was erected by the Jesuits on their arrival in this part of China was accidentally destroyed by fire and was a noble building, – noble indeed it must have been if the rest of the structure was in keeping with the grand and picturesque hoary ruin left. This Collegiate church was erected in 1662 as expressed by an inscription engraved on a stone iixed in the western corner of the building:

Vrgini Magna Matri,
Civias Macaensis Lubens,
Posuit an. 1662. (4)

The Church was consecrated to ‘Nossa Senhora da Madre de Deos’ like its predecessor (built circa 1565)… (…)
This splendid facade is nearly intact though slightly touched by the demolishing hand of time, and this though hundreds of storms and typhoons must have assailed it from every quarter of the compass during nearly three centuries and three quarters. The site of the church, only some walls being left to mark its position, has been used as a cemetery, though unused for some time now. A long night of steps leads up to it; this flight contains 130 steps of granite of a width of from 60 to 80 feet. This church was formerly the Cathedral; standing thus on a height under the walls of the Monte Fort it must have been even a more conspicusous land mark than the present Cathedral.
There are stories current of subterranean passages leading from St. Paul to Green Island which was formerly owned by the Jesuits.
In 1838 the side walls, though of great thickness, were considered unsafe and were cut down to a height of 22 feet; the facade, which is the most striking object in the view of Macao from the harbour, was left standing. This church took 8 years to build (1594-1602) … (…)
It appears that the church of St. Paul itself was entirely built by Portuguese and Japanese, the latter probably being converts exiled on account of their profession of Roman Catholicism. Chinese are not mentioned, as at that date in Macao’s history the Chinese were not employed by the Portuguese and were only permitted to sell provisions during the day in Macao and having to leave the City at night.
Vaults credited with containing treasure (for the Jesuits had gathered much wealth together and were forced to leave Macao with nothing but their breviaries) are, it is stated, known to be under the long flight of stone steps in front of the facade. And one writer affirms that not only subterranean passages lead under water a considerable distance to Green Island or Priests Island, but also up to the Guia Fort. (5)

Serões 1902 Ruínas S. Paulo

Revista “Serões”, 1902

(1) Ver: Álbum de Desenhos a Lápis Sobre Macau e Ilhas do Atlântico e Índico – 50 desenhos.
http://purl.pt/index/porCulture/aut/EN/933589_P6.html 
(2) Ver
https://nenotavaiconta.wordpress.com/2014/01/24/leitura-macau-cidade-do-nome-de-deus-na-china-nao-ha-outra-mais-leal/
(3) “27-01-1835 – A bela Igreja de S. Paulo, de que hoje só resta a arruinada frontaria, foi destruída por um violento incêndio, na noite de 26 para 27. Erigida entre 1594 – 1602, pelos padres da Companhia de Jesus …..….”
SILVA, Beatriz Basto da – Cronologia da História de Macau Século XIX, Volume 3. Direcção dos Serviços de Educação e Juventude, Macau, 1995, 467 p (ISBN 972-8091-10-9).
(4) Engano do autor. O início da construção da Igreja da Madre de Deus, conforme a inscrição exterior na base de uma das paredes laterais, logo a seguir à fachada, do lado do Evangelho,  é 1602.
SILVA, Beatriz Basto da – Cronologia da História de Macau Séculos XVI-XVII, Volume 1. Direcção dos Serviços de Educação e Juventude, 2.ª Edição, Macau, 1997198 p (ISBN 972-8091-08-7)

Segundo Padre Teixeira a inscrição é a seguinte:

PLACA Ruínas S. Paulo“VIRGINI MAGNAE MATRI
CIVITAS MACAENSIS LIBENS
POSVIT AN. 1602

i.e. To the Great Virgin Mother the city of Macau willingly placed this in the year 1602 “
TEIXEIRA, Fr. Manuel – The Japanese in Macau. Instituto Cultural de Macau, 1990, 62 p. , ISBN 972-35-0095-7.
(5) BALL, J. Dyer – Macao: The Holy City: The Gem of the Orient Earth. The China Baptist Publication Society. Canton, 1905, 83 p. Pode consultar este livro em: http://www.archive.org/stream/macaoholycitygem00ballrich/macaoholycitygem00ballrich_djvu.txt