Outro desenho a lápis do álbum da colecção Duarte de Sousa, presente no livro “Macau, Cidade do Nome de Deus na China” (1).

Macau Cidade do Nome de Deus na China A Ma TempleA God House; Back Harbour. Macao.”

Templo de A-Má, no Porto Interior

THE AMACAO TEMPLE  (descrição de J. Dyer Ball, em 1905)
The temple near the inner harbour is remarkable for its situation. A mass of gigantic boulders are heaped together by Nature in chaotic confusion and at their feet are the main buildings of the temple while stone steps lead up amongst the masses of the rock, amidst which here and there, are perched different buildings and shrines. Inscriptions are cut in the rocks, and stone seats are placed on the little terraces, which occupy every coin of advantage, grudgingly granted by the great granite boulders. 
In the main building of the temple is a very good model of a Chinese junk with wooden anchors, complete. The goddess came from Foochow to Macao in the junk of which this is a model, after various oppositions made to her departure. One of the signs that she should go was the falling ill of all the sailors with colic. The sword of a large sword- fish is also preserved in this temple as a thank-offering presented by a fishing-junk for a fruitful season in fishing. This temple which is known as the Amacao Temple, or that of “he Lady of the Celestial Chambers”, had its beginning about A. D. 1573, when a Fukienese ship becoming unman- ageable at sea, all perished but one sailor, a devotee of the goddess, Matsopo, who embracing her sacred image with the determination to cling to it was rewarded by her powerful protection, according to his own belief, and preserved from perishing. The ship, driven through the storm, weathered it, and the devoted sailor landed at Macao and built on this spot a temple at the hillock of Amako, as being the best situation he could find for the only temple to his patron saint which his slender means would permit of his erecting. 
Fifty years after an Imperial Messenger in the course of a dream had the locality of a lake, containing many and valuable pearls revealed to him by the goddess, and in grateful acknowledgement of the great favour thus granted him, he built a temple on the spot to her. 
The origin of the present congeries of buildings was due to Kukienese and Tiuchiu merchants subscribing 7000 taels to build some more fitting shrines for the favourite object of their worship. The upper temple is dedicated to The Goddess of Mercy; the middle one is styled The Temple of Universal Benevolence; while the lower one is named Amako. (2)

(1) Álbum de Desenhos a Lápis Sobre Macau e Ilhas do Atlântico e Índico – 50 desenhos.
http://purl.pt/index/porCulture/aut/EN/933589_P6.html.
Ver anteriores “posts”
https://nenotavaiconta.wordpress.com/2014/02/21/pintura-de-macau-de-1831-1832
(2) Sobre este autor e referência ao livro, ver:
https://nenotavaiconta.wordpress.com/tag/j-dyer-ball/