Macao the Holy City ILivro (1) de  J, Dyer Ball (2), de 1905

Acerca da muralha da cidade, (3) relata o autor:
“In the olden days when Macao was growing into a place of greater importance it was felt necessary to protect it from the assaults of covetous enemies and it was determined that a wall should be erected for that purpose.
One writer informs us that the open consent of the Chinese officials was first sought by a deputation from Macao but failing this, largesses prevented the corrupt mandarins from awkward objections or a hostile attitudeto the undertaking : so that in A. D. 1622 a wall was run from the Monte (the height in the centre of the penuisula) in a north easterly direction to the sea near St. Francis and, it is stated, the work might have been completed in A. D. 1626. This wall may still be seen. It starts from the Place of Luiz Camoens. At this point the author remembers a small arched gate, the San Antonio gate, (Sam Pa Mun) which was closed at night. This has now been pulled down and the road widened. From this place the wall runs along and then up the hill to the Monte Fort from whence it runs down the hill on the opposite side where at the foot there used to be another gate, that of San Francisco, now also abolished. The wall from here runs up the opposite hill towards the sea, to the ruined fort of San Joao, whence it proceeds towards San Francisco fort, which lies at one end of the Praya Grande, then running along the side of the Estrada da San Francisco down the hill facing the fort, mentioned above, where it ends. Thus the city was entirely closed on the land side. Some Dutch prisoners taken in 1622 were employed in the building of this wall.
Another short city wall is to be seen to the south of the city. It runs from the church on Penha Hill to the road above the disused Bom Parto Fort or just about opposite the old Boa Vista Hotel.”

(1) BALL, James Dyer – Macao: The Holy City; The Gem of Orient Earth. Printed by The China Baptist Publication Society, Canton, 1905, 83 p.
O livro está digitalizado pelo “Internet Archive”, em 2007 e poderá consultá-lo em
            http://archive.org/details/macaoholycitygem00ballrich
(2) J. Dyer Ball (1847-1919) foi um sinologista nascido em Cantão; trabalhou como funcionário público em Hong Kong durante 35 anos (“Security officer” e ” Chief interpreter”) . Faleceu em Inglaterra, no ano de 1919
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Dyer_Ball

Macao the Holy City IIÉ autor de vários livros: “Things Chinese”; “The Cantonese Made Easy Series”; “How to Write Chinese”; “Hakka Made Easy”; “Cantonese Made Easy”; “How to Speak Cantonese”; “Readings in Cantonese Colloquial”; “The Cantonese Made Easy Vocabulary”; “An English-Cantonese Pocket Vocabulary”; “Easy Sentences in Hakka, with a Vocabulary”; “How to Write the Radicals” (in the press)”; “The San Wui Dialect”; “The Tung Kwun Dialect”; “The Hong Shan or Macao Dialect”; “The Shun Tak Dialect”; “The English-Chinese Cookery Book”; “Things Chinese”.

(3) A primeira cerca muralhada, consentida pelos mandarins em Macau, foi mandada levantar em 1568 pelo Capitão-Mor Tristão Vaz da Veiga, em taipa (chunambo). (4) . Mas foi o Capitão-Geral e primeiro Governador da Cidade de Macau, D. Francisco Mascarenhas que assumiu funções a 17 de Julho de 1623 quem mandou cercar a cidade com uma muralha e aperfeiçoou o sistema de fortificação, em geral.
SILVA, Beatriz Basto da – Cronologia da História de Macau Séculos XVI-XVII, Volume 1. Direcção dos Serviços de Educação e Juventude, 2.ª Edição, Macau, 1997, 198 p (ISBN 972-8091-08-7)
(4) “Chunambo” – mistura de barro, terra, areia, palha de arroz, pedras e conchas de ostras moídas, compactado em camadas sucessivas.

Muralha da Cidade junto templo Na TchaParte da antiga muralha junto ao Templo de Na Tcha (ao lado das Ruínas de S. Paulo)

Publiquei em post anterior, parte de muralhas existentes na Rua Nova à Guia em:
https://nenotavaiconta.wordpress.com/tag/colegio-de-santa-rosa-de-lima/